Melt-in-the-mouth pork belly that’s crispy on top with fiery chilli and ginger flavours. It’s the perfect dish to prepare for a Sunday lunch!
1 kg trimmed pork belly
4 cm knob of fresh ginger; peeled
2 medium chillies; finely chopped
1 stalk lemongrass; washed
1-star anise pod
50 ml soy sauce
50 ml brown sugar
Handful of fresh coriander; washed and chopped
1 lemon; juiced
Fresh rocket; to serve
Fresh mint; to serve
Sliced cucumber; to serve
Sesame oil; to dress (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 150 °C.
2. Score the fat side of the pork belly diagonally with a sharp knife and place it in a roasting dish.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, coriander, lemon juice, chillies and star anise.
4. Grate the lemongrass and fresh ginger into the mixture and stir well.
5. Pour the mixture over the pork belly and rub it into the score marks.
6. Cover with foil and place the dish in the oven.
7. Allow to braise slowly for 3 hrs, then uncover and grill while basting with the pan juices until crispy.
8. While the belly cools slightly, arrange the salad by combining the rocket, mint and cucumber.
Dress lightly with sesame oil and arrange slices of pork belly on top.